How to Register for Online Classes
You must meet some requirements to take online classes. Why are there requirements? Because we want you to succeed. We’re found that students who don’t meet the requirements frequently have trouble with online classes.
One requirement applies to everyone: You must have withdrawn from less than 50 percent of any previous credit classes at WCC.
The other requirements depend on your status. Find the group you belong to in the following list. The first three are for students who’ve never taken an online class at WCC, and the last is for returning online students.
Group 1: At Least 8 Credits and GPA 2.0 or Higher
If you have at least 8 college credits in academic classes and a 2.0 GPA or higher, you’re all set as long as you’ve been admitted to WCC.
Group 2: Less Than 8 Credits and GPA 2.0 or Higher
If you have less than 8 college credits in academic classes and your GPA is 2.0 or higher, you can take online classes after you successfully complete the Introduction to Online Learning class. It’s self-paced and takes a maximum of two weeks. You don’t have to be admitted to take it.
Group 3: GPA Lower Than 2.0
If your GPA is lower than 2.0, we’re concerned about your ability to succeed in an online class. We encourage you to talk to an advisor or counselor. Together, you can develop an academic plan to raise your GPA to the level needed to take online classes. You also need to talk to an advisor or counselor if you believe there are special circumstances that should qualify you to bypass the requirements.
Group 4: Returning Online Students
As long as your GPA is 2.0 or higher, you’re welcome to take more online classes.
Verify Your Eligibility
If you’re a WCC student or you’ve been admitted to the College, you can verify your eligibility to take online classes. Just log into MyWCC and then follow the path Student Services › Student Records › Distance Learning Eligibility.
- Enroll in your online class during the registration period. You register for classes online using MyWCC.
- Test your access to the Blackboard class management system.
- While you’re in Blackboard, click on the My Courses panel and select the Online Prep Site to see what books or other materials you need. You also can find your needed books and materials by checking the class schedule.
- If you’ll use financial aid to pay for your books, authorize a financial aid transfer to WCC’s Barnes & Noble Bookstore. To do this, log into MyWCC and follow the path Financial Aid › Bookstore Information › Barnes & Noble Transfer Authorization.
- Order your books and any other materials through the Barnes & Noble Bookstore. You can order online, by phone, or at the on-campus store.
- Pay your tuition by the deadline.
If you’re a United Association member, additional class and registration information is available on the UA University website.
We offer blended versions of many online classes. In most cases you just come to school once a week, and you gain the benefit of face-to-face discussions with your instructor and fellow students.more »
Save a trip to campus. Just fire up your computer webcam and microphone to talk to an advisor online.more »
What Students Say About Online Classes
“When I took an online class for the first time I was amazed at how organized it was. It was so easy to navigate and provided me with all the links and tools I needed to complete my course.”—Mary Beth H., 30