Staff and Faculty
As many of you know, we had planned to allow for a "transitional" period during the Fall 2013 Semester where both the legacy version of TurningPoint (TurningPoint 2008) and the new TurningPoint 5 would both be available on campus. Unfortunately this will no longer be possible due to the fact that the WCC Campus is upgrading to Microsoft Office 2013, and TurningPoint 2008 is not compatible with Microsoft Office 2013.
As of the beginning of the Fall 2013 semester, TurningPoint 2008 will no longer be available on WCC’s campus computers. Only TurningPoint 5 will be available on WCC's campus computers.
What this means for you:
- Any presentations that were created in TurningPoint 2008 will be automatically upgraded when opened in TurningPoint 5. These files will no longer be able to be reopened in TurningPoint 2008. It is advised that you make a backup copy of all of your TurningPoint 2008 presentations to ensure that your material is still accessible.
- The new version of TurningPoint 5 has a new user interface that is different from TurningPoint 2008. It is highly advisable that you familiarize yourself with the new software far in advance of the Fall 2013 semester. Video walk-throughs can be found here.
- The Mac and PC versions of TurningPoint are mostly identical but have subtle differences which you may notice when creating your presentations. However, presentations created on the Mac version of TurningPoint 5 can be run on the PC version of TurningPoint 5 and vice-versa.
What you should do to prepare for the changeover from TurningPoint 2008 to TurningPoint 5:
- Save all of your TurningPoint 2008 materials (presentations, session files, participant lists) to a backup folder.
- On your "home" or "home office" computer (PC or MAC), we recommend that you download and install the latest version of TurningPoint 5 from the Turning Technologies download page.
- Review the TurningPoint 5 training videos. These will provide you with a good understanding of what has changed in the software.
- If you have questions or issues with any part of the changeover process, contact the TurningPoint Help Desk.
The Media Services Department is dedicated to making this transition as painless as possible for all WCC TurningPoint users. If you have any questions, please contact Media Services, Tues-Thurs, Noon to 6pm.