There are no announcements today.

Financial Aid

Filling Out the FAFSA

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, commonly known as the FAFSA, is the gateway to financial aid at WCC.

Filling out the form gets you considered for federal grants, loans, and work-study. It’s also the key to qualifying for most financial aid that WCC offers. You fill out the form online.

The FAFSA can look intimidating, but there’s lots of help with filling it out:

  • You can always get help from WCC’s Financial Aid office by calling 734-973-3523, sending an email to, or visiting the office on the second floor of the Student Center building.
  • The Financial Aid Office provides hands-on help completing the FAFSA. Stop by any time for help getting started. Check the Dates & Deadlines page for upcoming sessions.
  • The federal government offers “Completing the FAFSA”, a 70-page guide.
  • The Federal Student Aid Information Center provides free help at 800-433-3243 (TTY 800-730-8913).

WCC’s Federal School Code, which you’ll need for the FAFSA, is 002328.

You must file a new FAFSA every year that you want to receive financial aid. You can file a new FAFSA each year starting Jan. 1.

What Happens After You Submit Your FAFSA

If you’ve filled out everything correctly and the federal processing center accepts your FAFSA, the center will send you a Student Aid Report. You’ll get it by email if you supply an email address; otherwise, you’ll get it by postal mail.

The report summarizes the information you provided on your FAFSA. Review it carefully to make sure it’s correct and complete.

The federal processing center may randomly select your FAFSA for a process called verification. If you’re selected you must submit additional information. If you’re chosen, WCC’s Financial Aid office will email you instructions for completing the verification process. In most cases, you and/or your parents will need to provide additional documents to the Financial Aid office. You should submit the document as soon as possible so the Financial Aid office can complete your verification. Any delays will hold up your aid.

Then WCC’s Financial Aid office will send an award letter to your student email address. You can receive it as soon as 10 days after you submit your FAFSA.

The award letter will list the grants and loans for which you qualify. You’ll get a separate award letter if you qualify for work-study. Each letter will explain the next steps you need to take to receive your financial aid.

What To Do If Your Parent Information Is Missing

If you are required to provide your parent(s) information on your FAFSA and do not do so, your FAFSA will be rejected and you will not qualify for financial aid. To receive aid, you must do one of the following:

  1. If your parent(s) refuse to provide information on the FAFSA, you must visit the Financial Aid office on the second floor of the Student Center building to discuss your situation.
  2. If you have extreme family circumstances that have caused an involuntary or uncontrollable break in the relationship between you and your parent(s), you must complete the Independent Status Appeal form.
  3. If your situation is different than the two described, you must visit the federal government’s FAFSA website at and update your processed FAFSA to include information from your parent(s).

What To Do If Your Financial Situation Changes

Stuff happens. Stuff like you or a parent getting laid off from work can change your ability to pay for school — and your need for financial aid. But what if the stuff happens after you’ve submitted your FAFSA for the year?

No problem. You simply fill out the Adjustment of Income Worksheet and then submit it, along with required documentation, to the Financial Aid office. If you’d like to have a Financial Aid staff member walk you through the process, stop by the office.

There’s no guarantee that you’ll get more financial aid. But based on the paperwork you submit, the Financial Aid office will determine whether it’s possible to recalculate your aid eligibility.

Check Your Aid

To check the status of your financial aid, log into the WCC Gateway, click on MyWCC, Financial Aid, and then click on Check Your Financial Aid Status.

log in »

Contact Financial Aid

To contact WCC’s Financial Aid office, you can:

  • Visit the office on the second floor of the Student Center building
  • Call 734-973-3523
  • Send a fax to 734-677-5281
  • Send an email to

The office’s normal hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:00am to 6:00pm and Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm.

Feedback & Suggestions / Social Media Directory
Notice of Nondiscrimination