Interested in Federal Work Study? Apply under the Forms link on the Financial Aid webpage. The application will be open until Work Study funds are exhausted.
Filling Out the FAFSA
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, commonly known as the FAFSA, is the gateway to financial aid at WCC.
Filling out the form gets you considered for federal grants, loans, and work-study. It’s also the key to qualifying for most financial aid that WCC offers. You fill out the form online.
The FAFSA can look intimidating, but there’s lots of help with filling it out:
- You can always get help from WCC’s Financial Aid office by calling 734-973-3523, sending an email to email@example.com, or visiting the office on the second floor of the Student Center building.
- The federal government offers “Completing the FAFSA”.
- The Federal Student Aid Information Center provides free help at 800-433-3243 (TTY 800-730-8913).
WCC’s Federal School Code, which you’ll need for the FAFSA, is 002328.
You must file a new FAFSA every year that you want to receive financial aid. You can file a new FAFSA each year starting October 1 for the next fall semester.
What Happens After You Submit Your FAFSA
If you’ve filled out everything correctly and the federal processing center accepts your FAFSA, the center will send you a Student Aid Report. You’ll get it by email if you supply an email address; otherwise, you’ll get it by postal mail.
The report summarizes the information you provided on your FAFSA. Review it carefully to make sure it’s correct and complete.
The federal processing center may randomly select your FAFSA for a process called verification. If you’re selected you must submit additional information. If you’re chosen, WCC’s Financial Aid office will email you instructions for completing the verification process. In most cases, you and/or your parents will need to provide additional documents to the Financial Aid office. You should complete your file as soon as possible so the Financial Aid office can complete your verification. Any delays will hold up your aid.
Then WCC’s Financial Aid office will send an award letter to your student email address. You can receive it as soon as 10 days after you submit your FAFSA.
The award letter will list the grants and loans for which you qualify. You’ll get a separate award letter if you qualify for work-study. Each letter will explain the next steps you need to take to receive your financial aid.
What To Do If Your Parent Information Is Missing
If you are required to provide your parent(s) information on your FAFSA and do not do so, your FAFSA will be rejected and you will not qualify for financial aid. To receive aid, you must:
- Correct your FAFSA to include your parent(s) information. You can do so by visiting the FAFSA website at fafsa.gov.
- If your parent(s) refuse to provide information on the FAFSA or if you have an extreme family circumstance which has caused an involuntary or uncontrollable break in the relationship between you and your parent(s), contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss your situation.
What To Do If Your Financial Situation Changes
Stuff happens. Stuff like you or a parent getting laid off from work can change your ability to pay for school - and your need for financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid Office and request an adjustment of income. We will take a look at your situation and help you through the process.
There’s no guarantee that you’ll get more financial aid. But based on the paperwork you submit, the Financial Aid office will determine whether it’s possible to recalculate your aid eligibility.
To check the status of your financial aid, log into the WCC Gateway, click on MyWCC, Financial Aid, Award Information, and then click on Check Your Financial Aid Status.log in »
Contact Financial Aid
To contact WCC’s Financial Aid office, you can:
- Visit the office on the second floor of the Student Center building
- Call 734-973-3523
- Send a fax to 734-677-5281
- Send an email to
The office’s normal hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:00am to 7:00pm, Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm, and Saturday from 9:00am to 1:00pm.