Interested in Federal Work Study? Apply using the application located under the Forms link on the left side of the page. The application will be open until Work Study funds are exhausted.
Burt Black Memorial Fund Scholarship
The Burt Black Memorial Fund Scholarship is available to high school seniors and current WCC students who have physical and/or learning disabilities. The award is $500 for an academic year.
Application forms are available in Learning Support Services, which is located in Room 104 of the Crane Liberal Arts and Science building. Applicants also must submit:
- A 150-word statement about their career goals and any special circumstances that make them deserving of a scholarship
- Documentation of their disability unless they’re already receiving accommodations at WCC.
The application deadline for Fall Semester is June 30. If the scholarship isn’t awarded in fall, the application deadline for Winter Semester is Oct. 20. And if it isn’t awarded in either fall or winter, the deadline for Spring/Summer Semester is Feb. 10.
The memorial fund was established in 2004 to honor Burt Black. He was a 1997 Huron High School graduate, a WCC student, and a student at the University of Michigan majoring in sports management and communication. Despite significant physical and learning challenges throughout his life, Black persevered. He pursued his dreams and worked diligently toward his goals.
Scholarship applicants must be students attending or planning to attend WCC who have physical and/or learning disabilities and whose personal traits are consistent with the example that Black set. Recipients are chosen on the basis of:
- Personal traits of optimism, determination, courage, and a zest for life
- Service to their community or school
- Involvement in extracurricular school life
- Academic success, as shown by a 2.0 or better GPA
Applicants who have both a physical and a learning disability receive priority.
To check the status of your financial aid, log into the WCC Gateway, click on MyWCC, Financial Aid, and then click on Check Your Financial Aid Status.log in »
Contact Financial Aid
To contact WCC’s Financial Aid office, you can:
- Visit the office on the second floor of the Student Center building
- Call 734-973-3523
- Send a fax to 734-677-5281
- Send an email to
The office’s normal hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:00am to 6:00pm and Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm.