There are no announcements today.
Burt Black Memorial Fund Scholarship
The Burt Black Memorial Fund Scholarship is available to high school seniors and current WCC students who have physical and/or learning disabilities. The award is $500 for an academic year.
Application forms are available in Learning Support Services, which is located in Room 104 of the Crane Liberal Arts and Science building. Applicants also must submit:
- A 150-word statement about their career goals and any special circumstances that make them deserving of a scholarship
- Documentation of their disability unless they’re already receiving accommodations at WCC.
The application deadline for Fall Semester is June 30. If the scholarship isn’t awarded in fall, the application deadline for Winter Semester is Oct. 20. And if it isn’t awarded in either fall or winter, the deadline for Spring/Summer Semester is Feb. 10.
The memorial fund was established in 2004 to honor Burt Black. He was a 1997 Huron High School graduate, a WCC student, and a student at the University of Michigan majoring in sports management and communication. Despite significant physical and learning challenges throughout his life, Black persevered. He pursued his dreams and worked diligently toward his goals.
Scholarship applicants must be students attending or planning to attend WCC who have physical and/or learning disabilities and whose personal traits are consistent with the example that Black set. Recipients are chosen on the basis of:
- Personal traits of optimism, determination, courage, and a zest for life
- Service to their community or school
- Involvement in extracurricular school life
- Academic success, as shown by a 2.0 or better GPA
Applicants who have both a physical and a learning disability receive priority.