Washtenaw Community College

Search Washtenaw Community College

Student Services

Transfer Credit and Credit for Other Prior Learning


Washtenaw Community College recognizes that students come to college with competencies obtained from prior learning experiences such as previous education, training, or work experience. To receive credit, a prior learning experience must be verified. If it is documented and evaluated to be equivalent to college-level coursework, it is the College's policy to allow equivalent credit to be granted to the student if appropriate to their WCC program of study. The following methods may be used to verify equivalency credit: transcript evaluation, credit by examination, portfolio evaluation, advanced placement testing, and articulation credit. Credit for prior learning will be evaluated and posted on the student's transcript only after the student has earned one or more credit hours at WCC and will not apply toward satisfying the minimum credits in residence required for graduation.

The credit does not count as part of a student's credit load for any given semester and is not computed into the grade point average. In most cases, non-traditional credit earned for prior learning experiences will not transfer to other colleges or universities. Other institutions will want to evaluate the transcripts from all colleges previously attended when awarding transfer credit.

See also Board of Trustees Policy 3031: Credit for Prior Learning.

College Board Advanced Placement Exams

Credit may be granted to students who have achieved a 3 or above on one of the College Board Advanced Placement exams offered through their high school. The student may be granted credit for a particular course or the credit may apply toward an elective. Contact Enrollment Services at 734-973-3590 for specific course information.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Credit may be granted for the successful completion of each of the five general examinations of CLEP:

English Composition*
Natural Sciences
Social Sciences and History

* Students who achieve the minimum score on the English Composition General Examination will be granted English elective credit. To receive credit for ENG 111 (Composition I), students must pass the CLEP English Composition Subject Examination With Essay.

Minimum scores for awarding credit are based on American Council on Education (ACE) recommended credit-granting scores.

Students who have earned six or more credits in any one of the general examination subject areas are not eligible to receive credit for the general examination in that area. Subject examinations exist in the general areas of composition, literature, foreign languages, history, social sciences, science, mathematics, and business. In general, a maximum of three semester credits may be granted for each college approved subject examination for scores which meet ACE recommended credit-granting scores. Some general and subject examinations also require the successful completion of an essay examination or laboratory demonstration. For information about scheduling a CLEP test, contact the Testing Center at 734-973-3634.

DANTES Subject Standardized Tests

The DSST provides Colleges with a means to measure students' knowledge in commonly taught college courses and awards credit based on student scores. Students can choose from 37 different test titles in the areas of social science, business, mathematics, applied technology, humanities, and physical science. For information about which tests can be used to award academic credit at the College, contact Enrollment Services. For information about scheduling a DANTES test, contact the Testing Center.

Articulation through Tech Prep

Students who have acquired entry-level occupational skills through high school career and technical education may be eligible to receive college credit for equivalent courses. The student must have taken an approved career or technical course and receive a recommendation from the instructor. The student must also provide the college with his/her student performance record for evaluation by the college instructor. Students eligible for articulated credit must apply for the credit within two years of their high school graduation. For more information, please contact the high school counselor, the recommending instructor, or the College Tech Prep Office, 734-973-3706.

Credit by Examination

Students who appear to have proficiency in a course may, upon recommendation of a full-time instructor and with the approval of the department chair, take a course examination for credit. The student must be accepted to the College as a credit student and complete a Credit-By-Examination application form. The cost of the examination is based on the number of credit hours in the course. A maximum of 30 credits earned by examination may be applied toward a degree. The student is responsible for arranging to complete the examination. Students are allowed to attempt credit by examination only once per course. If the student passes the exam, WCC posts the credit with no grade. This credit generally does not transfer to other institutions.

Credit by Portfolio/Document Evaluation

Students with background experiences or certifications obtained through on-the-job training or apprenticeships, for example, may have this prior learning evaluated for college credit. Students may pick up a Nontraditional Credit Evaluation form from the Enrollment Services Office and contact the appropriate faculty member(s) in the student's program area. Courses granting CEUs are not normally eligible for college credit.

Students must submit all official documents and information on the length and content of the experience, and any other pertinent documentation, to the appropriate faculty member for evaluation. Normally, a maximum of 20 credits may be accepted in this category (with the exception of students with backgrounds in nursing or apprenticeship training).

Military Training

For an evaluation of service school training, students must submit a military transcript and DD 214 member 4 copy (military discharge papers) unless still on active military duty. The documents must show the exact title of the course, location of the course, and length of the course in weeks. Credit may be granted based on the recommendation of the American Council on Education (ACE). If a course is not evaluated by ACE, no credit is granted. If a course is relevant to a student's occupational degree objective, the program advisor and appropriate dean make a decision as to acceptance and application of credit. Other courses may be accepted as elective credit based on the veteran's program of study at WCC.

Transfer Credit from Other Colleges and Universities

Applicants must submit an official transcript from all colleges previously attended if they plan to apply the credit toward their program of study at WCC. Coursework will be evaluated, at the student's request, after the student has completed one or more credit hours at WCC. Credit will be granted only for courses in which a grade of "C" or better has been earned. Courses which are evaluated to be equivalent to courses offered at WCC are posted on the transcript as the specific course. Courses which are evaluated as college-level but not equivalent to a particular WCC course are posted as elective credit in the appropriate discipline.

The acceptance of transfer credit is governed by the accreditation of the institution and the listing published in the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers Transfer Credit Practices of Designated Educational Institutions. Credit is accepted from institutions with a general (AG) or provisional (AP) rating. Credit is not accepted from schools that have an N or NP rating. Credit from institutions that are not listed may be evaluated for nontraditional credit. Correspondence courses from accredited colleges and universities are accepted. Foreign transcripts cannot be evaluated without submission of international credit course-by-course evaluation from ECE or WES. Applications for these outside services are available from the WCC Student Connection.

Reverse Transfer of Credit

If you leave WCC before graduating, and then earn credits at another institution that satisfy your WCC program requirements, you may be able to reverse transfer those credits and use them to earn your certificate or degree at WCC. You can do this while you continue to attend another institution - or even if you are no longer attending a college or university.

Why take time to earn a certificate or associate's degree after you've left WCC?

  • It shows future employers your ability to complete things you started.
  • You'll receive recognition and a credential for all the time and effort you spent at WCC.
  • You can list multiple degrees on your resume.

Are you interested in applying college credits completed after leaving WCC toward your WCC degree? Here's what you should do:

  1. View the Procedure to Request Evaluation of Other College Transcripts form and follow the direction provided.
  2. Complete an Application for Graduation by following the directions on the following page: www.wccnet.edu/studentconnection/graduation/certificate/

Feedback & Suggestions | Social Media Directory