Grade Appeal Procedure
A student may appeal any letter grade from any course. All parties are to be notified of any action taken during the entire process. The process consists of the following steps:
- Student discusses concerns with the course instructor.
- If discussing the concern with the instructor does not resolve the appeal, the student should submit a written request for a meeting to the Department Chair. This step must be taken within five months of the posting of the grade to the student's record.
- After discussion with the student and/or the instructor, the Department Chair makes an initial determination regarding the basis for an appeal, and may suggest that there is no basis for appeal, or may suggest that the student could appeal to the Instructional Dean.
- If the student wishes to pursue the appeal, he/she should submit the written appeal within five days to the Divisional Dean, along with a request for a meeting and notification that he/she has already talked to the faculty member and Chair.
- The Divisional Dean invites both the student and the instructor to a meeting and issues a written decision. This step must be completed within six months of the posting of the grade to the student's record.
- A final appeal may be made in writing to the Vice President for Instruction. The Vice President for Instruction shall make a final determination and shall inform the student in writing of his/her decision.