Washtenaw Community College hosts two Honors Convocations each year to recognize students who have achieved High Honors on the Dean’s List. The Winter Convocation takes place in January and the Spring Convocation takes place in May. The Convocations take place in the Morris Lawrence Building. Students should check their WCC email a few weeks before the ceremonies in January or May as eligible participants will receive an email invitation.
What should honorees expect at the convocations?
- This is a special ceremony. Honorees will check in and be seated in the honoree seating area. Family and friends will be seated separately.
- There is not a dress code, but business casual attire would be appropriate.
- Representatives of the college (such as the President of the college, a Dean, and a representative from the Board of Trustees) will speak at the ceremony.
- Honorees will be individually recognized by walking across the stage to receive their certificate.
- Light refreshments will be served after the ceremony.
The Spring Convocation scheduled for May 14, 2015 will honor:
- Graduate Candidates for May, June, or August 2015 who are receiving Honors (GPA of 3.5 to 3.79) or High Honors (GPA of 3.8 to 4.0).
- Full-Time Winter 2015 High Honors Students
- Students receiving Special Awards at certain competitive events
The Winter Convocation scheduled for January 22, 2015 will honor the following students:
- December 2014 Graduate Candidates receiving Honors (GPA of 3.5 to 3.79) or High Honors (GPA of 3.8 to 4.0)
- Full-Time High Honors Students from Spring/Summer 2014 and Fall 2014 semesters. NOTE: Due to space constraints, Full-Time Honors Students (3.5 to 3.79 GPA) are not invited to the Winter Convocation, but are recognized with a certificate and will be notified via their WCC email that a certificate is available for pick-up in the Counseling and Career Planning Office.
- Part-Time High Honors and Honors Students
- Students attending WCC on a part-time basis must have earned less than twelve (12) credits in any one semester and earned a minimum of fifteen (15) credits over a three (3) semester period (defined below) and must have attended two of the three semesters in one of the periods. For the Winter 2015 Convocation, the series of semesters that would qualify honorees are:
- Winter 2013, Spring/Summer 2013, Fall 2013
- Spring/Summer 2013, Fall 2013, Winter 2014
- Fall 2013, Winter 2014, Spring/Summer 2014
- Student’s GPA must be calculated based on any of the three consecutive semesters listed above, i.e., divide the number of honor points accumulated over the three-semester period and divide by the number of graded credits. “P” and “S” grades are not used in the GPA calculation.
Questions about Honors Convocation? Contact John Rinke at 734-677-5112 or .
You should turn in the graduation application four months before registering for your last semester of classes.more »