The Mammography program is a post-associate advanced certificate that is designed for ARRT registered radiologic technologists. This program prepares students to perform screening and diagnostic mammography procedures using dedicated mammography equipment. The curriculum is based on the recommended American Society of Radiologic Technology (ASRT) mammography guidelines and includes both didactic and clinical education. Upon successful completion of the Mammography program, students are eligible to take the ARRT post-primary certification examination in mammography. In an effort to accommodate working radiologic technologists, this program will be offered in a blended-format.
Washtenaw Community College uses a competitive admission process for high demand programs
in health care. Each year, approximately 12 students are accepted to the program for
a Winter semester start. There are multiple requirements that must be completed prior
to submitting an application for admission. For detailed information regarding admission
to this health care program, please visit our Health Care website at health.wccnet.edu .
Prerequisite and program requirements along with WCC's point system and scales are reviewed annually and subject to change. Students are expected to meet the prerequisite and program requirements of the catalog term for the semester in which they first begin the program. Details regarding WCC's Admission to High Demand Programs policy including priority levels are on WCC's Board of Trustees policy page: Policy 2005 – Admissions Policy. Details regarding WCC's point scales that are used to calculate points are on WCC's Student Connection, Health and Second Tier Program, information page: www.wccnet.edu/start-now/degree/2nd-tier/ .
Requirements for application are:
1. Admission to WCC.
2. Graduate of a Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT) accredited program.
3. Current American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) registration card showing primary certification in radiography.
4. Minimum cumulative college GPA of 2.7.
5. Signed Abilities Statement. WCC reserves the right to request, before and during the program, that students successfully demonstrate specific physical and cognitive abilities related to this program.
6. Criminal background check clearance (refer to the Information Release Authorization form in the admission packet).
7. Residency verification.
Applying for Admission to the Program
A formal application and acceptance to the program is required. Application packets
may be downloaded from WCC's Student Connection, Health and Second Tier Program, information page www.wccnet.edu/start-now/degree/2nd-tier/. Completed and signed applications must be submitted during the dates indicated on
the application to the Health and Second Tier Admissions Office in the Student Connection, located on the second floor of the Student Center Building.
Requirement After Acceptance
Upon notification of acceptance to the program, students must purchase an account for a college-designated vendor to obtain a criminal background check and to track their health records. The criminal background check and health records must be submitted to the designated vendor before attending the mandatory program orientation session. Specific information on the college-designated vendor will be included in the program acceptance letter.
1. Additional criminal background checks may be conducted at any time during the program.
Students may be required to have drug testing as well as additional criminal background
checks and/or fingerprinting prior to the start of a clinical sequence as requested
by specific clinical facilities. Failure to receive an acceptable drug test and/or
criminal background/fingerprinting check at any time, will result in dismissal from
2. Students must complete any other health requirements as designated by the clinical sites.
3. All Mammography (RAD) courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C/2.0.
4. Students who are dismissed from the program may not be eligible to reapply to the program.
(Items marked with an icon are available online.)