Nursing Program Application Process and Temporary Requirement Changes
Updated: April 10, 2020 4:00 p.m.
Fall 2020 Program Applicants (APNURS Program):
The application period for Fall 2020 admission is closed. If you submitted an application for Fall 2020:
- Notification of admission status for Fall 2020 has been delayed and notification regarding acceptance can be expected in mid-May 2020.
- For Fall 2020 LPN to RN program applicants (APNURL), the application deadline has been extended to Friday, June 5, 2020 at 5pm. View Application information.
Winter 2021 Program Applicants (APNURS Program)
- The Winter 2021 APNURS application deadline has been extended to Friday, June 5, 2020 at 5pm. During this time, applicants for the Nursing Program are encouraged to submit their applications electronically. The first page of the application gives details on how to do this. View Application information.
- If you were a Fall 2020 applicant and received notification that you were not selected and wish to reapply, you must resubmit another application. However, if reapplying and you previously met all requirements including a mandatory advising meeting for Fall 2020, the mandatory advising meeting is “waived” for the Winter 2021 application.
- If you are a new applicant for Winter 2021, (have not applied previously) a mandatory advising appointment is still required. Due to the current COVID-19 crisis, all advising appointments will be completed via telephone. If you wish to connect with an advisor, please contact our advising center and leave a message at 734-677-5102 Monday-Friday 8am-7pm or Saturday 9am-1pm or connect with one of the Health Science Department Advisors Sue Travis or Karolyn Lehn please leave a message at 734-973-3358 and the Nursing secretary will return your call to set up an appointment with you.
Additional Changes to Application Requirements
Some of the nursing application requirements for Winter 2021 have changed related to COVID-19, in order to accommodate student applicants interested in pursuing nursing in one of WCC's programs.
- CNA Certification Requirement: Due to the inability to run HSC 100- Basic Nursing Assistant Skills courses during the COVID-19 crisis, HSC 164- Foundations of Caregiving, may be utilized to meet the CNA certification admission requirements for WCC’s nursing programs. This is a temporary allowance, and when students are permitted back on campus and the clinical training ban is lifted, nursing admission requirements will revert back to requiring applicants to have completed a state approved Nurse Aide Training Program (HSC 100), and have successfully passed the Michigan Certified Nurse Aide Exam (CNA exam). Registration for HSC 164 will soon be available on the Spring/Summer schedule. HSC 164 is not a state approved Nurse Aide Training Program. Students completing this course will not be eligible to take the state CNA exam.
* NOTE: If you successfully completed HSC 100 in its entirety with a passing grade in the course, you are eligible to apply without taking the state certification exam.
- TEAS Testing: Passing the the current version of TEAS* is still required of all nursing program applicants. The following minimum scores must be achieved.
Reading = 70%; Mathematics = 60%; Science = 45%; English & Language Usage = 60%
Students will be allowed a maximum of three (3) attempts within five years at WCC to take and achieve the minimum scores required. If repeated test attempts are needed to meet the required scores, the highest subject score from each attempt will be applied towards the prerequisite requirement. Scores must have a test date within five years of the application deadline (June 5, 2015 or later) to be counted and applied towards meeting admission requirements.
The Testing Center at WCC is now offering the TEAS Test remotely. You must have internet, a PC or laptop, webcam and microphone in order to test this way.
Please set up an account with ATI Testing at https://atitesting.com/. After this is done, please sign-up for a testing day and time at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080b49a8a628a1fd0-teas2
Make sure to read the instructions on the SignUpGenius page.
You will receive a GoToMeeting invite from your proctor. On the day of testing, please click on the link and set-up your webcam and microphone at least 5 minutes before your sign-up time. Please have your picture ID and credit/debit card ready.
Test slots will be offered until the application deadline day. For additional information regarding TEAS testing, please email the Testing Center at [email protected].
- Anatomy & Physiology (BIO 111) must have been completed and a passing grade received in order to be eligible apply for Winter 2021. For future nursing program applicants, online sections of BIO 111 are available now for registration and will meet the program requirements.
At this time, these are the only current changes to the nursing program application deadlines or application requirements. Please refer back to this website for any further updates or additional changes related to Covid-19. If you have questions or concerns regarding the admission process or your current/future application to the program, please contact the Health and Second Tier Admissions Office at [email protected]