Washtenaw Community College

Search Washtenaw Community College

Student Connection

Veteran Information

Veterans and other eligible dependents receiving educational benefits under Chapter 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 1606, or 1607, who have never used their VA educational benefits and would like to use their benefits here at Washtenaw Community College should first apply for GI Bill Benefits using the VA website.

Students are asked to come in to the Veterans Center which is located on the second floor of the Student Center building and bring a copy of their DD-214 (Military Discharge papers) and COE (Certificate of Eligibility). Students in Selected Reserves should bring a copy of their NOBE (Notice of Eligibility). Those who have prior military training will need to provide a Military Transcript. In addition, those who have prior college experience will need to provide an unofficial transcript.

Standards for Receiving Educational Benefits

In compliance with the Department of Veteran Affairs, Circular 22-80-38, the College has developed standards of progress. Each veteran student must conform to these standards to be eligible for VA Educational Benefit Certification. Each veteran student must read, sign and return the original copy of these standards to the WCC Certifying Official prior to the first semester of enrollment at WCC.

Students who may qualify for Chapter 33 Post 9/11 VA Benefits

Please review the information to all potential Chapter 33 recipients. WCC staff cannot assist you with the decision to select Chapter 33. Our recommendation is for you to visit the VA website and use the comparison information they provide to assist in your decision. Use caution as the decision is irrevocable.

If you apply for Chapter 33 benefits, please contact the WCC Certifying Official immediately and submit a Veteran Certification form as soon as you register for classes. This will ensure your record is updated promptly. Under Chapter 33, WCC will preserve your classes from the drop for non-payment process if the Veteran Certification form is turned in to the WCC Certifying Official before the payment deadline. The VA will pay your tuition directly to WCC. If you do not notify WCC in advance, we may not be able to preserve your classes and you may have to re-register if dropped.

Once VA has processed your application, you will receive a letter informing you of the percentage of eligibility that you will be receiving. You must submit a copy of this letter to the VA Certifying Official immediately so that that the accurate percentage can be applied to the certification/payment.

Transfer Students

Students who have previously received VA educational benefits at another school must complete VA form 1995 (Change of Place of Training). The form 1995 and a copy of the DD-214 member 4 copy (military discharge papers) must be submitted to the WCC Certifying Official. You must also complete and submit the Veteran Certification form as soon as you register for classes. Students who have prior military training must provide official transcripts by the end of the first semester of enrollment.

WCC Previously Enrolled Veterans

Veterans who are continuing students must complete and submit a Veteran Certification form as soon as you register each semester in order to be certified for benefits.

Veteran Certification

All veterans receiving educational benefits must complete and submit a Veteran Certification form each semester once they register for classes. Any drops or changes made during the semester must be reported to the WCC Certifying Official immediately. Failure to do so may result in the delay of educational benefits.

Credit for Formal Service School Experience

Credit is granted for military training as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) if it applies to the student's program of study at WCC. To have your military training evaluated, submit an official military transcript to the WCC Certifying Official.

Departments of Veterans Affairs and Defense Education Benefits Programs

If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance Program. Check your eligibility status and the amount for you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling.

If you are the spouse of child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the paygrades of E1-E5, O1-O5, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training and/or occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career.

If you are the spouse of child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service members Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to you.

Financial Aid Information

In addition to Veterans benefits, students may be eligible for Federal financial aid. Information regarding financial aid eligibility can be found on here. Included is the maximum amount of Federal grant and loan aid available to students under Title IV of the Higher Education Act, as well as the terms and conditions of Federal student loans.

Try the Payment Plan

Due to limited federal staffing, veterans' educational benefits are often delayed, sometimes until the semester ends. Enroll in the WCC student payment plan by the payment deadline to keep your classes. After you register, log into the WCC Billing and Payments System, then pick the payment plan tab and set up regular deductions from a bank account or credit card.

Deployed or Returning to Active Duty Status

Explore your options if Deployed or Returning to Active Duty Status.

More Information?

For further information on benefits, visit the VA website or the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency (MVAA).

·        Resource center
·        Michigan Veterans Trust Fund
·        Michigan Veterans Homeowners Assistance program
·        Grand Rapids Home for Veterans and the DJJacobetti Home for Veterans

Michigan Department of Military & Veterans Affairs

Michigan National Guard Tuition Assistance Program

Homeless Veterans can call 1-877-4AIDVET (1-877-424-3838)
Veteran Legal Services: UD Mercy Law Veterans Clinic
Neighborhood Legal Services

Feedback & Suggestions | Social Media Directory