The following scholarships are available for incoming or current students with documented disabilities:
You do not need to apply for financial aid to qualify for these scholarships.
The Burt Black Memorial Fund Scholarship is available to high school seniors and current WCC students who have physical and/or learning disabilities. The award may vary but generally is $500 for an academic year, to help pay for tuition, books, services or equipment directly related to classroom academic achievement.
This memorial fund was established in 2004 to honor Burt Black. He was a 1997 Huron High School graduate, a WCC student, and a student at the University of Michigan majoring in sports management and communication. Despite significant physical and learning challenges throughout his life, Burt persevered. He pursued his dreams and worked diligently toward his goals.
Applicants must be students attending or planning to attend WCC who have physical and/or learning disabilities and whose personal traits are consistent with the example that Burt set. Recipients are chosen on the basis of:
- Personal traits of optimism, determination, courage, and a zest for life
- Service to your community or school
- Involvement in extracurricular school life
- Academic success, as shown by a 2.0 or better GPA
Applicants who have both a physical and a learning disability receive priority
Please submit the following to Learning Support Services:
- Disability Services scholarship application
- A 150-word statement about your career goals and any special circumstances that make you deserving of a scholarship
- Documentation of your disability unless you’re already receiving accommodations at WCC.
Fall semester: June 30
Winter semester: October 20
Spring/Summer semester: February 10
If these dates fall on Sunday, the deadline will be extended to Monday. Awards will be provided as applications are received, eligibility is determined, and funding is available. The scholarships are available for one academic year and are usually awarded in the Fall. If not awarded in the Fall, the additional deadlines apply.
Questions about specific needs? Contact a Program Specialist in Disability Services.
This scholarship award is $1000 per year. The award is given to students attending WCC and who are visually impaired.
Please fill out a WCC Foundation scholarship application online in MyWCC .
Questions? Contact the WCC Foundation.
The Learning Disabilities Association Scholarship has a maximum value of $500. It’s available to students who will attend or are attending WCC, with preference given to high school seniors who expect to graduate at the end of the year.
To apply for the scholarship, you must:
- Have a documented learning disability
- Have a minimum grade point average of 2.0
- Live in the Washtenaw County school district
Fill out the PDF scholarship application online, or you may download it and fill it out by hand. Besides the application, you must submit the following:
- A one-page statement of your educational and career goals.
- Two letters of recommendation from current or former teachers or school counselors. Letters cannot be from family members.
- Documentation of your learning disability.
Questions? Contact a Program Specialist in Learning Support Services.