April 23, 2021 Rich Rezler
With their final semester at Washtenaw Community College drawing to a close, the WCC STEM Scholars program took time Friday to recognize and congratulate the students who are completing their WCC programs and transferring to four-year universities.
Launched in 2018, the WCC STEM Scholars program offers comprehensive social, academic and financial opportunities for students interested in pursuing four-year degrees in science, technology, engineering or mathematics.
Among the best and brightest students at WCC, the STEM Scholars on the verge of graduating from the college and moving to the next step in their academic journeys were honored during a "STEM Scholars Virtual Celebration" organized by program coordinator Susan Dental, a WCC Life Sciences faculty member.
Among the 17 graduates, 11 will attend the University of Michigan next fall while three are headed to Eastern Michigan University, one to Kettering University, one to the University of Detroit-Mercy and one to the University of West Florida. They are:
- Khaleed Al-Rabeei, University of Michigan, Civil Engineering
- Ahmad Awad, Eastern Michigan University, Biology
- Bakari Bakari, Eastern Michigan University, Electric & Computer Engineering
- Umang Bhojani, University of Michigan, Information Science
- Jesse Bishop, University of Michigan, Biology
- Leila Burly-Sanford, University of Michigan, Biology
- Fedor Dolgachev, Kettering University, Engineering
- Pablo Garcia, University of Michigan, Engineering
- Sabrina Lanker, University of Michigan, Earth & Environmental Science
- Katherine Liddell, University of Michigan, Engineering
- Jared Liebetreu, University of Michigan, Mechanical Engineering
- Jessica Medina, University of West Florida, Electrical Engineering
- Asia Rahman, University of Michigan, Engineering
- Roham Sharbatdaran, Eastern Michigan University, Biology
- Thaliana Smith-Ponce, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Andrew Vincent, University of Michigan, Mathematics
- Yongxin Zheng, University of Michigan, Biology
Learn about the STEM Scholars and other STEM and STEAM-related educational opportunities at Washtenaw Community College by visiting wccnet.edu/stem.
Tags: April 2021, On The Record, STEM Scholars Program, Student Success, Transfer, ousearch_News_2021