Develop the knowledge, skills, and behavior that you need to graduate as a competent surgical technologist. A surgical technologist (ST) serves the patient's interest primarily by providing assistance to the surgeon. The surgical technologist contributes to global patient care by serving as a team member who monitors the surgical environment.
Our Surgical Technology program prepares you for entry-level employment and teaches you how to meet the diverse needs of the communities you serve by applying ethical standards, delivering safe surgical care, and active professional engagement.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Utilize the principles of surgical asepsis and sterile technique during surgical case management without contamination.
- Demonstrate perioperative case management as required for each surgical procedure.
- Anticipate and pass instrumentation and equipment in the standard sequence and order required by the surgical procedure and surgeon.
- Communicate clearly with the entire surgical team regarding all aspects of each surgical procedure.
- Advocate for the patient by following HIPAA guidelines on confidentiality and promoting patient safety before, during, and immediately after the surgical procedure.
- Prioritize and coordinate all aspects of each surgical procedure using critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Recognize safety hazards to self and to others within the Operating Room as well as in the handling and passing of surgical equipment and avoid such injuries by using standard established techniques.
The Surgical Tech program at WCC is accredited by The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).