On June 14, 1994, the Washtenaw Community College Board of Trustees adopted a resolution in memory of Dr. Morris J. Lawrence, Jr. Dr. Lawrence was a faculty member in the Performing Arts Department of the College; he died unexpectedly in January 1994. The resolution declared the creation of an award in his honor and set the criteria for the selection of recipients of the award.
The selection of individuals will be based on the following criteria embodied by the late Morris J. Lawrence, Jr.:
- Treatment of others with dignity and love.
- Devotion to the community college and its open door philosophy.
- Leadership in providing people with opportunities to enrich their lives.
- Love of education and belief in it potential to change lives.
- Desire to bring out the best in others.
- Commitment to do one's very best.
Morris J. Lawrence Award Recipients
|1994||Ezell Agnew, Ruth Hatcher|
|1995||Phyllis Bostwick, Connie Jenkins, Gladys Knoll|
|1997||Deborah Freeman, Alvin Roberts|
|1999||Dennis Bila, Cornelieus Reeves, Robert Reeves|
|2000||Janet Hawkins, William Clark|
|2001||Don Garrett, Dan Minock|
|2004||Dave Thomas, Sister Judith VanderVeen, and Dr. Calvin Williams|
|2008||John E. Lawrence|