Fill out the FAFSA

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, commonly known as the FAFSA, is the gateway to financial aid at WCC.

Filling out the form gets you considered for federal grants, loans and work-study. It’s also the key to qualifying for most financial aid that WCC offers. You fill out the form online.

The FAFSA can look intimidating, but there’s lots of help with filling it out:

  • You can always get help from WCC’s Financial Aid office by calling 734-973-3523, sending an email to [email protected] or visiting the office on the second floor of the Student Center building.
  • The federal government has great information on the Federal Student Aid website for completing the FAFSA.

WCC’s Federal School Code, which you’ll need for the FAFSA, is 002328.

You must file a new FAFSA every year that you want to receive financial aid. You can file a new FAFSA each year starting October 1 for the next fall semester.

What happens after you submit your FAFSA

If you’ve filled out everything correctly and the federal processing center accepts your FAFSA, the center will send you a Student Aid Report. You’ll get it by email if you supply an email address; otherwise, you’ll get it by postal mail.

The report summarizes the information you provided on your FAFSA. Review it carefully to make sure it’s correct and complete.

The federal processing center may randomly select your FAFSA for a process called verification. If you’re selected you must submit additional information. If you’re chosen, WCC’s Financial Aid office will email you instructions for completing the verification process. In most cases, you and/or your parents will need to provide additional documents to the Financial Aid office. You should complete your file as soon as possible so the Financial Aid office can complete your verification. Any delays will hold up your aid.

Then WCC’s Financial Aid office will send an award letter to your student email address. You can receive it as soon as 10 days after you submit your FAFSA.

The award letter will list the grants and loans for which you qualify. You’ll get a separate award letter if you qualify for work-study. Each letter will explain the next steps you need to take to receive your financial aid.

What to do if your parent information is missing

If you are required to provide your parent(s) information on your FAFSA and do not do so, your FAFSA will be rejected and you will not qualify for financial aid. To receive aid, you must:

  • Correct your FAFSA to include your parent(s) information. You can do so by visiting the FAFSA website at
  • If your parent(s) refuse to provide information on the FAFSA or if you have an extreme family circumstance which has caused an involuntary or uncontrollable break in the relationship between you and your parent(s), contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss your situation.

What to do if your financial situation changes

Stuff happens. Stuff like you or a parent getting laid off from work can change your ability to pay for school - and your need for financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid Office and request an adjustment of income. We will take a look at your situation and help you through the process.

There’s no guarantee that you’ll get more financial aid. However, based on the paperwork you submit, the Financial Aid office will determine whether it’s possible to recalculate your aid eligibility.

Take the
Next Step