September 10, 2020 WCC Marketing
What is Futures for Frontliners?
Futures for Frontliners is a scholarship program for frontline workers and is run by the state of Michigan. This scholarship may provide you with free tuition to Washtenaw Community College to earn your associate degree or certificate.
Tuition Free for Essential Workers
If you’re a frontline worker and are interested in going to college or completing high school, you may be able to get free tuition with Michigan’s Futures for Frontliners scholarship program.
The scholarship program is also open to students who are interested in completing a high school diploma or GED and continuing to college.
Students who are currently attending WCC may also apply for the Scholarship.
Am I eligible?
You may be eligible for the College Scholarship if you:
- Are a Michigan resident.
- Worked at least half time (20 hours per week) in an essential industry for 11 of the 13 weeks between April 1 – June 30, 2020.
- Have been required by your job to work outside the home at least some of the time between April 1 – June 30, 2020.
- Have not previously earned an associate or bachelor's degree.
- Are not in default on a Federal student loan.
- Complete a Futures for Frontliners scholarship application by 11:59 p.m. on December 31, 2020.
High School Completion
You may be eligible for the High School Completion Scholarship if you:
- Are a Michigan resident.
- Are at least 18 years of age.
- Do not already have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Are not currently enrolled in high school (K-12).
- Have been employed in an essential industry as defined by the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, Michigan Executive Order 2020-21 or Michigan Executive Order 2020-70.
- Worked at least half-time (20 hours per week) for 11 of the 13 weeks during the second quarter of 2020 (April 1-June 30).
- Complete and submit a Futures for Frontliners application on or before December 31, 2020.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Apply to WCC.
If you are not a WCC student, you must first apply to WCC. If you have questions about applying to WCC, contact the Student Connection at [email protected] or 734-973-3543.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Students who are interested in applying for the Futures for Frontliners Scholarship must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you have questions about completing the FAFSA, contact the Financial Aid office at [email protected] or 734-677-5281.
- Apply for the Futures for Frontliners Scholarship.
The application takes about 10 minutes to complete. Submit the application by December 31, 2020.
- Enroll and start classes.
You must enroll at least half time (minimum six credits) in an eligible program and start classes in 2021.
- Find out if you are eligible.
Determine your eligibility for the High School Education Pathway.
The scholarship is administered by the state of Michigan. Interested students must apply through the Futures for Frontliners website.
If you have questions about the Futures for Frontliners program, please contact the program’s Customer Care Center at 517-636-7000.