Study Abroad Spring 2023: The History and Archeology of Ancient Rome
Classroom May 15 - 26
Travel May 28 - June 16
Join Washtenaw Community College in Italy this spring for an interdisciplinary history and archaeology adventure in Italy in 2023. The program includes:
- Two three-credit courses: ANT 290 International Studies in Anthropology: The Prehistory of Italy and HST 290 International Studies in History: Ancient Rome
- Two weeks of classroom instruction on the WCC campus (May 15-26)
- Three weeks of travel in Italy (May 28-June 16)
The travel abroad will include visits to historical sites and museums in Rome, Naples and Viterbo, and hands-on participation at an active archaeological excavation in Ischia di Castro (two hours north of Rome).
This program will provide you with an opportunity to acquire not only an in-depth understanding of the archaeology and history of ancient Italy, but also an appreciation for the local culture and people.
- Ability to participate at the excavation site (will require moderate physical activity)
- Be currently enrolled at WCC
- Hold a valid passport
- Be at least 18 years of age
Cost: $3,600 for in-country program
Airfare, tuition and other fees, some meals and spending money not included
Students must email an application letter to BOTH Anthropology instructor Dr. Christopher Barrett ([email protected]) and History instructor Dr. Ian Rush ([email protected]) by December 15, 2022. The application letter (limited to 600 words) must include the following:
- An explanation of why you would like to participate in the program.
- A discussion of your interest in history and archaeology.
- An explanation of why the program will benefit your future academic career.
This program is run in partnership with the Study Abroad Association.
Download the information packet for more details about the program, including a complete 20-day itinerary.
Interested? Contact us for more information!