Military Educational Benefits

If you have served our country or are the spouse or child of someone who has served in the military, you may be able to take advantage of military-affiliated education benefits.

GI Bill® benefits may be used for academic programs that lead to a degree or certificate. And with WCC’s low tuition and other cost-saving benefits, you’ll get the education you need at a price you can afford!

Other military benefits may be used for academic programs or for fast-track job training programs that lead quickly into a career.

Please visit the below websites for the most up to date information.

Note: if you have connection issues, please change your browser settings or use a different browser.

GI Bill® Certification Request

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty

The Montgomery GI Bill ®(Chapter 30) assists students who entered active duty for the first time after July 1, 1985, and who agreed to have their pay reduced by $100 for 12 months. Learn more about the GI Bill®.

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational rehabilitation provides benefits to service members who have served on or after Sept. 16, 1940, and have a service-connected disability which is at least 20 percent disabling as defined by VA. Additionally, it must be determined that vocational rehabilitation is needed to overcome an employment handicap. Learn more about Vocational Rehabilitation.

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill®

Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill® provides up to 36 months of benefits for school or job training. Benefits may include:

  • Tuition and fees
  • Money for housing
  • Up to $1,000 for books and supplies
  • $500 one-time rural relocation benefit

Learn more about the Post-911 GI Bill®.

Chapter 33: Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits

If you’re on active duty or in the Selected Reserve, you may be able to transfer the unused portion of Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to a qualified spouse or dependent children to help pay for:

  • Tuition
  • Housing
  • Books and supplies

Learn more about the Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits.

Chapter 35: Dependent and Survivor Education Assistance

Dependent or surviving spouses or children may qualify for the following benefits under certain criteria:

  • Education and training
  • Money for tuition, books and supplies
  • Money for housing

Learn more about Chapter 35 benefits.

Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve

Members of the Army, Navy, Air Force Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserves, Army National Guard or Air National Guard may be eligible for up to 36 months of education and training benefits.

Learn more about the Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve benefit.

Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

This program ended November 25, 2015 however, you may be eligible for Post-9/11 benefits. Learn more about REAP.

  • Marine Gunnery Sargeant John David Fry Scholarship

Provides Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to the children and surviving spouses of service members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001.

Learn more about the Marine Gunnery Sargeant John David Fry Scholarship.

How to Apply for GI Bill® Educational Benefits

If you are applying for your educational benefits for the first time, use the Veterans Online Application .

Visit us in the Wadhams Veterans Center with any questions you may have. Please note, while we provide many kinds of assistance, our Veteran Center staff can not determine your eligibility for benefits.

For more information regarding your eligibility, please contact the VA Educational Hotline at 888-442-4551 or visit the website at .

✔ Get your benefits

New students: Apply for your GI Bill® Educational Benefits. If you are a new student who has not used GI Bill® Educational benefits before at any institution of higher learning, please apply using View a list of all GI Bill ® Educational Benefits .

Submit your Certificate of Eligibility (COE): Please submit your COE letter from the VA stating eligibility and length of entitlement (Chp 33 and 35) to the School Certifying Official at the Wadhams Veterans Center. You will receive this 4-8 weeks after you apply for your benefits using the process. If you have not yet received your COE, you may substitute a DD-214 or other proof of benefits eligibility, but you will still need to submit a COE as soon as you receive it.

Transfer students: Please submit form VA 22-1995 Change of Place or Training and COE when transferring from another school.

GI Bill® Certification Request

Get credits for your service and prior learning

For an evaluation of service school training, please submit:

  • Military transcript. You can access your military transcripts online.
  • DD 214 member 4 copy (military discharge papers) unless still on active military duty.
  • The documents must show the exact title of the course, location of the course, and length of the course in weeks.

For an evaluation of your college work, please submit:

Transcripts need to be submitted as soon as possible but not later than the end of your first semester in order for WCC to continue certifying your courses to the VA. Credit is granted for military training as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) if it applies to your program of study at WCC.

Register and pay

Please meet with the Veteran Student Advisor to schedule classes within your program prior to registration. Explore the class listing prior to your appointment.

Veteran benefits may sometimes be delayed. Enroll in the WCC student payment plan by the payment deadline to keep your classes. After you register, login to the WCC Billing and Payment System, then pick the payment plan tab and set up regular deductions from a bank account or credit card. You may also set up a payment plan.

Prove your progress

You must follow the Standards of Progress to be eligible for your VA Educational Benefit Certification. You must read, sign and return the original copy of the Standards of Progress to the WCC Certifying Official prior to your first semester of enrollment at WCC.

We are compliant with Choice Act, Section 702 . You are eligible for in-state tuition (regardless of your formal state of residence) if you live in the State of Michigan while attending WCC and are receiving educational assistance under:

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty Program,
  • Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill®, of title 38, United States Code and/or
  • The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. 3311(b)(9)).

For more information regarding our residency policy, please check our residency page.

Air Force Credentialing Opportunities Online (COOL) is a way for enlisted Airmen to earn industry recognized certifications and licenses to enhance active duty work and to prepare them for the civilian workforce.

Learn more about Air Force COOL.

Use your Air Force COOL benefits for fast-track job training or academic programs.

Navy COOL allows enlisted Navy and Marine Corps members have the option to use official resources to help meet civilian credential requirements related to their military training and experience.

Learn more about Navy COOL.

Use your Navy COOL benefits for fast-track job training or academic programs.

Soldiers may receive up to $4,000 books, supplies and materials for approved training courses. Learn more about Army Credentialing Assistance.

Use your Army Credentialing Assistance benefits for fast-track job training or academic programs.

Those who are in the Michigan National Guard (and Air National Guard?) may be eligible for up to $600 per credit hour or $6,000 per year in combined tuition and fees. Learn more about MINGSTAP.

Use your GI Bill benefits for fast-track job training or academic programs.

This program provides military spouses up to $4,000 in financial assistance for licenses, certifications, or associate degrees toward an occupation or career field. Learn more about MyCAA.

Use your MyCAA benefits for fast-track job training or academic programs.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offer d by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Take the
Next Step