These procedures may be implemented to close the campus or College in times of severe weather or other emergencies (loss of water, power, or natural disasters) that could affect safety, health, or access to the College. The President or designee will have the final authority to make the decision to close the campus or College.
Employees are encouraged to confirm media announcements via WCC communication methods as listed below.
In the event campus is closed, in person classes will not be held and most employees scheduled to work on campus will not report.
- Online classes (DL and virtual) will meet as scheduled and essential services that support these classes (WCC Call Center, Ellucian Call Center, CiTL, Library Services) will be provided remotely.
- Staff scheduled to work from home on the day of closure will be expected to work remotely.
- During peak periods, departments in addition to the above areas (Enrollment Services, Testing Center, Advising, Financial Aid, Cashier) will provide remote services.
- Staff members who are essential to the maintenance of campus buildings, computer services, Public Safety, or snow removal will be notified by their supervisor if required to report.
Should the College be closed, most employees are not required to report.
- Essential staff members as listed above, will be notified by their supervisor if they are required to report and will be compensated in accordance with applicable collective bargaining agreements.
The President's or designee's decision to close the campus or College will be communicated by Public Relations and Marketing.
- The best way to learn about cancellations is to sign up for WCC Alert, an emergency notification service that send messages to your phone, email account,
or TTY/TDD device for the hearing impaired. To sign up for WCC Alerts:
- Login to MyWCC
- Choose “Sign Up For Emergency Notifications” and sign up
We also encourage you to sign up for the WCC Safe app which provides emergency notifications and has features that support a safer campus. The WCC Safe app is available for free on Apple's App Store and Google Play.
- You can also learn if WCC is closed by:
- Checking online at the WCC Homepage or the College’s Facebook and Twitter pages
- Calling WCC’s School Closing Information Line at 734-677-5288
These procedures will be given to all employees annually in the Fall Semester as a reminder, to new employees at the time of initial orientation and will be included in the Human Resources Management homepage.