Procedures for a Third-Party Sponsor to Pay

When an agency or your employer (or your parent’s employer) is paying for your WCC classes, the arrangement is referred to as having a “third-party sponsor.”

All students are responsible for their tuition so check your third-party payment status by logging into MyWCC.

Submit authorization

Enroll early and turn in authorization by the payment deadline. Present (or mail) to the Cashier's Office an original document on company letterhead that includes:

  • Student name
  • WCC student ID number (example: @00001234). Your ID number will be listed on your schedule after the registration process is complete.
  • Semester/term covered
  • Specify description (tuition, fees, books, and course materials if required) and amount authorized.
  • Statement signed by student that authorizes specific information WCC is authorized to disclose, the purpose of disclosure, and identity of party to whom the disclosure can be made. Please note: The student must agree in writing to disclose payments from other sources if required by their employer or sponsoring agency.
  • Student signature and date.
  • Company or agency authorized signature
  • Company or agency billing address

Download a sample letter .

The Student Accounting Department will be the sole judge of the authenticity of the letter. You are responsible for paying any difference not covered by the authorization and for paying if the third party does not pay.

If you cannot turn in an authorization, you will need to pay in full or enroll in a payment plan or you will be dropped from your classes. Please be advised, some third parties will not authorize payment for an account that has already been paid.

You may be eligible for Work In-District rates if your employer is in Washtenaw County. If your employer is physically located in Washtenaw County, it is your responsibility to give Student Welcome Center a copy of the employer authorization by the first day of the semester to qualify for discounted tuition rates. Please turn in the original employer authorization to the Cashier's Office.

Sign a release

Also, in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), you must authorize the College to release specific information from your educational record to your employer. You must either list specific authorization on the letter or on a separate form with your signature, date, and printed name and WCC student ID number.

Sponsor book authorizations

Book authorizations must be received by the Cashier by 12 noon one business day prior to purchasing books in the WCC Barnes & Noble bookstore. The bookstore will not accept hand delivered authorizations. The Cashier’s office sends daily book authorization files to the WCC bookstore during the posted semester dates after they are reviewed and entered in our system.

Book charges for third-party authorizations are subject to sales tax unless the third-party sponsor has submitted a Michigan Sales and Use Tax Certificate of Exemption (Form 3372) with a copy of their IRS letter ruling each calendar year to the Cashier's Office. You will be required to show your WCC student ID card to purchase books.

Tuition and invoicing

WCC will invoice all companies after the semester starts. Payments are due within 30 days of the invoice date (net 30). All scholarships and grants must go through our Financial Aid office.


Take the
Next Step